Freshman Writing Program Library Component
The SLU Libraries offer a hybrid online and in-person information literacy instruction model that aims to meet the needs of freshman at SLU. The program, through a variety of learning styles and teaching modalities, empowers students to recognize their information needs and locate, evaluate, and use information effectively. The online and in-person components are sequential and build on each other. We recommend the following sequence of instruction.
English 1900 and English 1920
Library Instruction Outcomes for ENGL 1900: Advanced Strategies of Rhetoric & Research and ENGL 1920: Advanced Writing for Professionals
The ENGL-1900/1920 student will:
- Broaden or narrow a research topic in order to fit the scope of an assignment.
- Describe the characteristics of different kinds of information sources used in the scholarly research process (scholarly, popular, etc.) in order to use them effectively.
- Utilize library catalogs and databases in order to find a variety of sources on their research topic.
- Assess the credibility and relevance of information sources in order to select appropriate resources for their research project.
- Identify the many ways to access research help via the SLU Libraries in order to meet their current and ongoing information needs.
Instructional Format and Sequence:
- Video Tutorial 1 - Start Your Research with SLUth Search Plus
- Video Tutorial 2 - Find Books on a Topic with the SLU Libraries Catalog
- Online ENGL-1900/1920 Library Assessment
Note: Students are required to view both tutorials and complete the online assessment and before their in-person library instruction sessions.
- 2 in-person library instruction sessions with ENGL-1900/1920 librarian at Pius XII Memorial Library
Resources for Students
Ask a Librarian
Have questions about your research? Ask a Librarian for assistance via chat, text, email, phone, or in-person.
Have your library questions been asked before? Probably! Search LibAnswers to find frequently asked library and research-related questions and their answers, any time, day or night.
Locating Materials in Pius Library
Find call number information and location maps for Pius XII Memorial Library.
Information for Instructors
Contact Jamie Emery, M.S., English Librarian at 314-977-3591.