Pius XII Memorial Library
Saint Louis University
Saint Louis University, a Catholic, Jesuit institution dedicated to student learning, research, health care and service, is seeking applicants for the position of University Archivist, Pius XII Memorial Library.
Reports to the Head of Collection Management Services, leads and manages the Archives and Digital Services Department of the Saint Louis University Libraries.
- Manages department and coordinates and supervises staff activities.
- Develops, implements, and maintains policies, procedures, and work flow for archival and digital curation, including:i acquisition, arrangement, preservation, description, and access for collections.
- Represents Archives and Digital Services, as well as participates in collection development which includes contacting offices, faculty and staff and negotiating the acquisition of archival collections.
- Responsible for arranging on-site inventories, boxing, transferring, and ensuring that accession and gift agreement documentation is recorded.
- Enhances resource discovery and improves access to collections by implementing and supporting technological and metadata strategies associated with archives and digital scholarship, including:i scripting, programming, harvesting, applying metadata schema, evaluation and testing of new archival information and content management systems software.
- Maintains skills and knowledge of standards and best practices in archival processing and management and remains current in profession through active membership in professional organizations or attendance at conferences, workshops, and educational programs or through reading and/or publication in professional literature in order to contribute to strategic change and advancement of the profession.
- Provides service to the department, library, and university through active participation on committees, in meetings, and in other capacities as needed and as opportunities arise, including participation in resource development, grant writing and fundraising efforts.
- Promotes use of collections through classroom instruction, outreach, public presentations, tours, exhibitions, and publications.
- Participates in providing reference services (in-person, phone, e-mail) for SLU students, faculty, administration, and other non-SLU patrons.
- Master’s degree from an American Library Association-accredited library and information science program, with a concentration in archives
- Certified Archivist (CA) qualification from the Society of American Archivists
- Master’s degree in related subject area (e.g., History, American Studies, Media Archaeology, etc.)
- Three years’ experience in a college or university Archives or Special Collections, or comparable institutional setting, with increasing managerial or supervisory responsibility
- Competency in appraisal, acquisition, processing, arrangement, and description of archives and manuscripts according to accepted standards, e.g., DACS, EAD, etc.
- Ability to cultivate and sustain productive relationships with donors, faculty, administrative and academic staff.
- Demonstrated commitment to the principles of accessibility, universal design, and user-centered design methodologies for various web platforms.
- Competency in the management, preservation, and delivery of digitized and born-digital archival materials and finding aids using archival management systems, such as ArchivesSpace, Archon, etc.
- Strong organizational and analytical skills
- Ability to handle rare and fragile materials with care and attention
- Ability to work with high degree of accuracy and attention to detail
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
- Ability to move and/or lift up to 50 lbs.
- Experience with project planning and organization methodologies (including both Waterfall and Agile)
- Knowledge of Jesuit history, Catholic history, Saint Louis regional history and local archival resources, Saint Louis University history
Assistant Professor, non-tenure track, 12-month appointment.
Salary: commensurate with experience. Attractive benefits including retirement program, insurance, tuition remission, vacation and holidays.
Review of applications will begin March 23, 1018 and will continue until position is filled. Anticipated start date is July 1,2018.
All applications must be made online at https://jobs.slu.edu and include a cover letter addressing qualifications for position, application, curriculum vita, and contact information of three current professional references. Please refer to Requisition Number F20170597. Saint Louis University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified candidates will receive consideration for the position applied for without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, military/veteran status, gender identity, or other non-merit factors. We welcome and encourage applications from minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities (including disabled veterans). If accommodations are needed for completing the application and/or with the interviewing process, please contact Human Resources at 314-977-5847.
For information about Pius XII Memorial Library, see http://lib.slu.edu
Employment opportunities @ Saint Louis University provides a searchable database of positions available throughout the University in addition to information about the application procedure.