Library Associate, Sr.
Pius XII Memorial Library
Saint Louis University
Reporting to the Assistant Dean for Special Collections, this position provides essential administrative, budgetary, logistical, and publicity support for programs, activities, services, collections, personnel, projects, and publications for the Special Collections Department, comprising the Rare Books division and the Vatican Film Library. Responsibilities include support for the general administrative needs of the department and also grants administration for specific projects; fills the role of Editorial Assistant for the journal Manuscripta; supports metadata and file management for the METAscripta project; and provides reading room monitoring and reader and collection services for the Vatican Film Library Reading Room. Other duties as required.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, and Personal Characteristics
- Proficiency in use of email, scanners, and photocopiers, Microsoft Office Suite (esp. Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access), Adobe Creative Cloud (esp. InDesign, Photoshop, Access, Acrobat Pro) and Adobe Bridge
- Ability to maintain a high degree of accuracy and precision in all activities
- Ability to work and solve problems independently and to keep supervisor apprised of progress
- Ability to organize and carry projects through to successful conclusion
- Ability to perform tasks associated with retrieval and shelving of library materials
- Knowledge of citation formats according to Chicago Manual of Style (16th or 17th ed.)
- Excellent organizational, verbal, and writing skills
- Professional and courteous manner toward patrons and colleagues
Bachelor's degree; supplemented with two (2) years related work experience.
Job Duties and Responsibilites
- Provides administrative and budgetary support for Special Collections programs (i.e. grant-funded projects, Vatican Film Library Mellon Fellowship Program), projects, policies, procedures, personnel, and book orders; oversees student workers and graduate student research assistantships associated with these projects and other departmental needs; coordinates visa, tax, and visiting scholar documentation for US and foreign national fellows; ensures functionality and currency of information for department website and serves as primary administrator for department social media outlets-blog and Twitter feed: maintains departmental policies and procedures; maintains office supplies for department personnel and reading rooms; manages and coordinates logistical arrangements and catering for events; oversees layout, production, and distribution of print and online publicity materials for exhibits, lectures, events, etc., and liaises with external vendors or other university offices as necessary.
- Serves as Editorial Assistant for the journal Manuscripta. Provides administrative, editorial, and production support; receives, acknowledges, and files incoming submissions, author contracts, and permissions; monitors and apprises editor of status of submissions, peer review process, issue content, and production deadlines; prepares electronic files of articles for editing by editor; executes layout of text, notes, tables, and images for each edited article and assembles final volumes using InDesign for delivery to publisher; manages contracts and illustration permissions from authors; ensures images meet technical requirements for reproduction; manages galley proofs to and from authors for final article approvals; distributes editorial copies of journal upon receipt and sends copies of published reviews to publishers.
- Supports the Vatican Film Library's METAscripta project. Provides administrative, logistical, and metadata and file management support; supports project documentation, records, and shared access to same; supports metadata management and quality control for project database; assists with microfilm storage, retrieval, and physical processing; assists with image file backups and data storage; manages student workers and grad students on project, including scheduling and budgeting of hours.
- Provides supervision for the Vatican Film Library Reading Room and reader services for patrons, and maintains library equipment and collections in good order; provides reception, registration, and reader services for patrons; provides basic reference information and orientation about library resources and programs; retrieves and refiles microfilms and other closed-access collections for patrons; ensures functionality of printers, computers, scanners, microfilm readers, and other equipment in the reading rooms and liaises with appropriate departments to maintain services; maintains microfilms, microfiche, books, and other collections in closed and open-access reference stacks in good order; manages climate monitoring systems for all areas of the department and prepares quarterly and annual analytical reports on conditions; maintains files, inventories, databases, and other administrative records relating to collections.
$38,050 - $40,000
All applications must be made online at https://jobs.slu.edu and include a cover letter, reference list, and resume/CV. Please refer to Requisition Number S20182329. Saint Louis University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified candidates will receive consideration for the position applied for without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, military/veteran status, gender identity, or other non-merit factors. We welcome and encourage applications from minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities (including disabled veterans). If accommodations are needed for completing the application and/or with the interviewing process, please contact Human Resources at 314-977-5847.
For information about Pius XII Memorial Library, see http://lib.slu.edu
Employment opportunities @ Saint Louis University provides a searchable database of positions available throughout the University in addition to information about the application procedure.