Library Associate (Programmer/Technical Developer for METAscripta Project)
Pius XII Memorial Library
Saint Louis University
Under the direction of the Faculty Project Investigator (PI), responsible for technical development and programming support for the METAscripta digital humanities project of the Knights of Columbus Vatican Film Library (VFL). The goal of the project is to build an online environment using IIIF technology, in which users will be able to search, discover, and research Vatican Manuscripts, digitized either from originals at the Vatican or from high resolution microfilms at Saint Louis University. IIIF technology functions through various open-sourced APIs and requires command-line programming of several virtual servers to support these. This position will build and integrate these servers using Amazon Web Services (AWS-Linux OS) and provide support in the development of other technical components of the project, including a MySQL database to enable a separate crowd-sourcing metadata template. The position also required writing IIIF manifests in JSON and managing digital images and derivatives in various file formats.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, and Personal Characteristics
- Troubleshoot software issues and think creatively
- Work and solve problems collaboratively
- Organize and manage project schedules for grant reporting
- Professional and respectful manner toward colleagues and student workers
- Experience with open-source software and tools
- Experience in HTML, Java script, web interfaces and web development
- Experience with Adobe Creative Suite, especially Bridge and Photoshop
- Familiarity with image and data processing systems and applications
Bachelor's degree required (Computer Science or Engineering preferred).
Job Duties and Responsibilites
- Configures IIIF server in Linux for AWS; develops IIIF image server, presentation server, and annotation server; builds, edits, and automates IIIF manifests in JSON; develops MySQL database for crowd-souring interface; develops user authentication tools to enable separate user annotation stores; integrates all project components to launch project website.
- Operates the Mekel Mach 12 microfilm scanner and Quantum processor; batch process images and derivatives in Adobe Photoshop and Bridge; builds and troubleshoot applications from open-source software libraries; documents effort reporting and contribute to grant administration; collaborates in grant planning for continued funding of project.
- POther support duties as assigned.
Commensurate with Experience
All applications must be made online at https://jobs.slu.edu and include a cover letter, reference list, and resume/CV. Please refer to Requisition Number S20192795. Saint Louis University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified candidates will receive consideration for the position applied for without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, military/veteran status, gender identity, or other non-merit factors. We welcome and encourage applications from minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities (including disabled veterans). If accommodations are needed for completing the application and/or with the interviewing process, please contact Human Resources at 314-977-5847.
For information about Pius XII Memorial Library, see http://lib.slu.edu
Employment opportunities @ Saint Louis University provides a searchable database of positions available throughout the University in addition to information about the application procedure.