About the Facility
The Locust Street Library Facility (LSLF) holds valuable but infrequently used material in a high-density, climate-controlled, and closed-stack environment. Transfer of these materials to the new site has made space available in the Pius XII Memorial Library, the Medical Center Library, and the Vincent C. Immel Law Library for new materials and created valuable teaching and study space. The Locust Street Library Facility currently houses over 500,000 volumes, which appear in the SLU online library catalog as "Locust Street Facility." Collections at the Locust Street Library Facility include:
- Bound journals/periodicals dated before the year 2000, in addition to all bound journals/periodicals for which we do not hold current subscriptions
- Government Documents
- Law treatises
- Archival material
- SLU theses and dissertations
Visiting the LSLF
The Locust Street Library Facility is not open to the general public. For demonstrated research needs, SLU faculty, staff, and students may make an appointment to visit the LSLF. Photocopy, scanning equipment, and a small study room are available. To make an appointment call 314-977- 5611 or email: email@example.com.
Access to the LSLF
The following patron groups have full access to materials housed at Locust Street Library Facility via library document delivery services. (See below for additional detail on procedures for each material's circulation type.)
- SLU undergraduate students
- SLU graduate students
- SLU staff
- SLU faculty
- 1818 faculty and students
- Aquinas students, staff, and faculty
The following patron groups use SLU document delivery services for journal articles and have access to requestable materials housed at Locust Street Library Facility via mediated library document delivery services. Please see a staff member at the Access Services desk at Pius XII Memorial Library or other Saint Louis University Libraries.
- DuBourg Society members
- Library Associates
- Missouri Province Jesuits
- SLU Law alumni
- Upward Bound High School students
- Visiting faculty / Scholars
The following patron groups access hardcopies of materials housed at Locust Street Library Facility by speaking with a staff member at the Access Services desk at Pius XII Memorial Library. Journal articles should be requested through the patron’s home library interlibrary loan service.
- Concordia Seminary students
- Higher Education Consortium of Metro St. Louis faculty
MOBIUS library patrons may request books housed at the Locust Street Library Facility through MOBIUS requests. They request journal articles through their home library’s interlibrary loan service.
Access to Government Documents
U.S. government documents housed at the Locust Street Library Facility are available for use by the general public upon request. Please contact the Government Information Librarian, Rebecca Hyde (firstname.lastname@example.org | 314-977-3106) or the Government Documents Assistant, Jesse Swoboda (email@example.com | 314-977-5611) for more information or to arrange for the use of federal depository materials.
How to Request Materials from the Locust Street Library Facility
Eligible Saint Louis University library patrons may request materials stored in the Locust Street Library Facility in accordance with the following SLU Libraries circulation categories. Three types of circulation categories are:
- Circulating: Materials that can be removed from the Locust Street Library Facility and checked-out to individual eligible patrons. Examples: monographs, government documents.
- Non-circulating: Materials that will be scanned and sent to eligible patrons via email. Examples: journal articles. Upon request, non-circulating items, such as whole journal volumes, may be requested for use at a Saint Louis University Library.
- Restricted use: Materials which must be used by eligible patrons at a Saint Louis University Library or only at the Locust Street Library Facility. Examples: dissertations and theses, special collections and archival materials.
Request Circulating materials such as monographs and government documents via the SLU Libraries Catalog using the “Request” function, user name and password required. Create a “My Library Account”. If you do not already have one see, https://libcat.slu.edu/patroninfo.
Retrieve Non-circulating materials such as journal articles via the SLU Libraries interlibrary loan service, ILLiad, found on the SLU Libraries home page. Create an ILLiad account, if you do not already have one at http://lib.slu.edu/services/interlibrary-loan.
Restricted use requests or other special requests are granted on a case by case basis. Please contact 314-977-5611 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to make a request.
Delivery of materials is dependent upon the time of the request. Generally materials will be provided within a 24 hour period Monday through Friday. During academic breaks and holidays, SLU libraries may have reduced hours. Please consult the library hours page.
Circulating Locust Street Library Facility materials may be returned to any SLU Library (or MOBIUS library) on or before the due date to avoid overdue fines. Locust Street Library Facility materials are subject to the same fine policies as other Library items, including recall fines. (Detail available here.)