Become a Member
Memberships begin at $100 and include:
- Exclusive invitation to the annual St. Louis Literary Award, which has honored distinguished writers such as W. H. Auden, Barbara Tuchman, Tennessee Williams, Eudora Welty, Saul Bellow, and Joan Didion, among many others. See the full list here.
- Membership-only programs held in private homes and arts and culture settings in the community.
- Access to the unique resources of Saint Louis University Libraries, including use of comprehensive collections in the humanities, social sciences, and sciences.
- Borrowing privileges from Pius XII Memorial Library.
Membership Levels for the Library Associates
Please fill in the dollar amount of the level of membership you would like, based on the categories below. For questions or more information, please contact Donna Neely at (314) 977-3100.
CONTRIBUTING MEMBER - $100
- Pius XII Memorial Library borrowing privileges and access to unique library resources
- Invitations to membership-only literary programs
- Library Associates newsletter
SUPPORTING MEMBER - $150
- Includes all of the benefits listed above, plus preferred seating at St. Louis Literary Award event
LITERARY FRIEND - $250
- includes all of the benefits listed above, and program recognition, and two Award reception tickets
PATRON - $500
- includes benefits listed above, plus preferred seating at Award events, and a signed copy of the Awardee’s work
BENEFACTOR - $1000
- includes the benefits listed above, plus a private VIP dinner with the author, and two Award reception tickets
The St. Louis Literary Award
For the past fifty years, the Library Associates has conferred the St. Louis Literary Award on the most important writers of our time and celebrate the contributions of literature in enriching our lives.
Tennessee Williams - 1974 recipient of the St. Louis Literary Award
The list of awardees of this prize reflects numerous Nobel laureates, Pulitzer Prize winners, and National Book Award recipients.
The St. Louis Literary Award is now known as one of the top literary prizes in the country. View the full list of awardees.
Who We Are
In 1964, SLU President Father Paul Reinert convened a group of civic-minded St. Louisans of varied religions to establish an organization dedicated to the growth of the university libraries.
Among the riches of the libraries are The Vatican Film Library, described by one Oxford scholar as “the most important single addition ever made to the libraries of America,” and an invaluable rare books collection that is especially rich in Jesuit and Church history, theology, philosophy, rhetoric and education, and emblem books.
What We Do
The Mission of the Library associates is to enhance the Saint Louis University Libraries and the development of their world renowned collections and services. Annually, the Associates present a generous gift to the SLU Libraries.
In addition, the Associates contribute to the cultural life of the larger St. Louis community by presenting literary and cultural programs. Members enjoy the Evenings at Home series, which introduces local authors in the setting of private homes.
Most prominently, the Associates sponsor the ST. LOUIS LITERARY AWARD described above.
Board of Directors
SAINT LOUIS UNIVERSITY LIBRARY ASSOCIATES
Elected and Ex-Officio Directors
Clarkson ”Joe” Carpenter, III
Literary Award Chair
Kevin E. Ertl
Frances Pestello, Ph.D.
Raymond G. Slavin, M.D.
Jane von Kaenel
Phoebe Dent Weil
Arts & Sciences Faculty Rep
Saint Louis University
David Cassens, Dean of Libraries
Erika Cohn, Director, Law Library
Patrick McCarthy, Director, Medical Library
Premier of the film Eero Saarinen: The Architect Who Saw the Future
Information for the 2016 St. Louis Literary Award: http://lib.slu.edu/about/associates/literary-award/ondaatje
Please send Comments & Suggestions to Saint Louis University Library Associates.